Friday, July 28, 2017

52 Hike Challenge


For years now I have tried to get outside more and more.  It has become important for me physically, spiritually and mentally.  The cares of the world fade away as I focus on all that Mother Nature has to offer.

As spending time in nature has became an important part for me, it has also become important for my family.  Taking hikes isn't always at the top of their list, but once we are on the trail their smiles grow bigger and their adventurous spirit never fails to show itself.

As a homeschooling mom we have the advantage of experiencing nature more frequently because our days are not scheduled for us.  So, an impromptu trip to the Forest Preserve isn't a problem.

But, even with setting our priorities toward natural pursuits, the busyness of life sneaks in.  Our children play sports, sign up for art classes and youth groups.  Good and worthwhile pursuits fill our days.

But, I always want to make hiking and spending time in nature a priority.  Jon Young, creator of The Wilderness Awareness School says:

"The river of modern life is large and powerful.  The currents are pulling in the opposite direction, while you, a humble, common human being, seek to re-establish yourself with Mother Earth and your original instructions, or blueprint.  There are and will be one million reasons not to got to your place in the forest.  There will always be one billion responsibilities that take you from your path.  This you must know in advance if your are to succeed.  You must be committed.  You must be determined, even downright stubborn about guarding your time in nature."


When I came across 52 Hikes, thanks to my friend Robyn, I knew this was something I wanted to add to our schedule.  Accountability is a good thing.  Being able to track and see our progress can be fun.

THE 52 HIKE CHALLENGE IS A GLOBAL MOVEMENT EMPOWERING YOU TO TAKE A PERSONAL JOURNEY TO DISCOVER THE PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND SPIRITUAL BENEFITS GAINED THROUGH HIKING ONCE A WEEK FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE WORLD ARE TAKING THE CHALLENGE TO HELP CHANGE THEIR LIVES IN A POSITIVE WAY, ONE STEP AT A TIME. 



There is no cost commitment.  No group you have to meet with.  This is just a chance for you to identify that getting in nature regularly is important, and that you are going to make it a priority.  The idea is simple. Take one hike every week for a year.

It doesn't have to be scaling a mountain, although that would be cool.  Start out on a mile hike and then work your way up to longer hikes.  Take the kids with you and this will become something you look forward to every week.

For all of the details, and to sign up click HERE.

When I signed up I ordered a patch to go on my hiking bag, as well as a few 52 Hike Challenge Stickers.  I would love to share those stickers with you!  I have four of them.  Head over to my INSTAGRAM PAGE and leave a comment that you will be joining me!  I will get one of those stickers in the mail to you.  Display it where it will be a reminder to you.


Are you with me?  See you on the trail.

Channon











No comments:

Post a Comment