Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Day In The Life Of A Homeschooling Family :: The Caraynoff Family


:: Tell us a little about your family, how long you have been homeschooling and the ages of your children.

We are a family of five - Kelly, Rick, Kaitlyn (20), Alex (18) and Brayden (13).  We started homeschooling when my daughter was diagnosed with at brain tumor 11 years ago.  It seemed like the best option for us due to the amount of time we spent traveling to doctors and the numerous hospital stays.  So I guess you we've been homeschooling for 11 years, wow how time flies.  My husband is a firefighter for the Village of Bridgeview and I am a stay at home mom.  My daughter is currently working a a paramedic and doing well and our oldest son is studying Forensics at Penn State and will be a junior next year.


:: Do you use a particular method?  Share with us a few of your favorite curriculum.

I don't use a particular method, each one of my kids were different and I chose what worked best for each of them.  Some of my favorites are Apologia sciences and Notgrass History.



:: Are you involved in a co-op, and/or do you participate in homeschool groups?

We are not involved in a co-op but I am the leader of a homeschool 4-H group.


:: Do you follow a strict schedule, predictable rhythm, or do you work your lessons around that day's activities?

I am a total type A person so I love schedules.  Of course our schedules depends on the activities for the day but we have a list of what needs completed each week and it usually all gets done.

:: How long does it take you to do school everyday?

It usually takes us 3 hours to complete our schooldays, that is if we don't have any interruptions or distractions :)


::  What advice would you give to other homeschooling families?


Do what's right for you and your family.  I learned that what works for one person may not work for me.  Try things and don't be afraid to abandon them if they don't work.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day Kelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment