Monday, May 1, 2017

A Day In The Life Of A Homeschooling Family :: The Becker Family


:: Tell us a little about your family, how long you have been homeschooling and the ages of your children.


I've been homeschooling for over 8 years, when my eldest was in 4th grade. I pulled him and my second son (first grader at the time) from public school when things just weren't going well with family schedules and emotional issues at school. I knew I could do at least as good a job for at least one year, and then we could decide if we wanted to keep it up. I've never looked back. My eldest decided to go to public high school as a freshman and is graduating this year. My middle son is a freshman at home and seems to want to continue on the homeschool route. My sons are 18 and 15 and my daughter is 11 (she's never been to "school" a day in her life.)

:: Do you use a particular method?  Share with us a few of your favorite curriculum.

We are super eclectic. I've tried lots of curriculum, several books, online programs, cds, movies, etc. If it's working, we keep it. If it gets boring (and I didn't spend too much money on it) we drop it. 

:: Are you involved in a co-op, and/or do you participate in homeschool groups?

My first search for a homeschool group in 2009 led me to a newly created group in our hometown that has morphed into a group that I now lead. We meet every Tuesday with friends we've known for years. Parents teach enrichment and educational classes, depending on the ages and the desires of the kids/families at that time. I don't know what I would do without a weekly check-in with other homeschool families. I think we might have quit years ago if we didn't have reinforcements!

:: Do you follow a strict schedule, predictable rhythm, or do you work your lessons around that day's activities?

Again, over the years, this has morphed. It continues to morph. Now that it is only my younger 2, we are much more relaxed, but I really do like for them to start their work before 10 am. They're usually awake by 7-8 and spend time together, playing video games, watching tv, eating, cooking, doing art... etc. I help as needed and let them come to me if they're confused. My youngest is truly a self-starter because of this, though my middle son still needs more pushing to get it all done.

:: How long does it take you to do school everyday?

When does learning ever stop?

:: What advice would you give to other homeschooling families?

You can do it. It won't be like what you THOUGHT it would be like, and it won't always be fun and exciting, but it's also not rocket science. Ask for help when you're facing a subject you aren't confident in. Offer help when others need it. Be a part of the homeschool community and embrace the freedom that this lifestyle provides. 

:: Where can we learn more about you?



Thank you, Tracy, for taking the time out of your busy day to talk with us!

Channon


1 comment:

  1. "It won't be like what you THOUGHT it would be like" -- very important phrase for me, thank you

    ReplyDelete