Thursday, May 18, 2017

6 Ways To Occupy Your Little Ones During Homeschool Lessons


Homeschooling multiple ages can be a challenge.  Just when you think you have your little one settled in for a nap, or playing quietly with a toy the chaos ensues once again.

Whether you homeschool or not, there hasn't been a parent out there that hasn't felt that frustration.  The task at hand is challenging enough without adding a curious, unhappy toddler into the mix.

I have been there.  Five of my children are ages 5,6,7,8,9.  Yep, I know, crazy.  So, as you can guess, just go back a few years and there were days that our home looked a lot like a circus.  Ok, who am I kidding, they still do at times.

People ask me all the time "How did you do it!?"  Well, aside from the large consumption of coffee, we came up with ways to make daily tasks, like getting toddlers to sit, a little bit more manageable.  It wasn't always pretty, but we made it through!

Here are 6 things we did to survive homeschooling during the toddler years:

1 :: Blanket time

I used this little trick everywhere I needed the Littles to sit still.  During school, church, or the doctor's office.

The process was pretty simple.  I would place a small blanket, maybe 3 feet by 3 feet on the floor, along with my child and a toy or two.  I would tell them they needed to stay on the blanket, along with their toy.  I can hear you chuckling, but with consistency and patience it can work.

Start off with just a few minutes.  Set them down and then sit nearby with a book or whatever.  The idea is to look like your engaged in something beside them.  If they try to get up, and they will, then place them back on the blanket.  If they throw their toy, give it back once, telling them if they throw it they won't get it back. Stick with it! Work up from five minutes to ten.  From ten to fifteen.  I was never far away from them, and I would change their toys every so often.  I wouldn't do this for hours on end, but it can be a wonderful solution to help you get through a lesson or two.


2 :: Playpens

It seems in some circles this is a dirty word.  All I know is that it was a life saver for me.  I brought it outside when we were working in the garden, I had it in the kitchen when I was cooking or washing dishes, and I used it when we were doing school.  Having them near, occupied, and not being able to run away, was a huge help for me.

3 :: Littles First

Before you begin working with your older children spend a few minutes with your little ones.  Sometimes a snuggle from momma, singing a song, and reading a book will help them feel included. They usually just want to be a part of what the bigger kids are doing.  If you have older toddlers give them their own workbooks (hit the Dollar Store), chunky crayons and board books.


4 :: Naptime

I know, it's obvious, but use your younger one's nap time to focus on the other children.

5 :: School Time Basket

Have a special basket of toys, snacks, or crafts that only come out during school time.  Be consistent about keeping it put up when not in use.  Building a bit of excitement can go a long way.  Rotate the items frequently.  Items and toys that are tactile, hands-on, and using a child's imagination are best.

6 :: Be In The Moment

Probably the most important thing to remember is that this is a season.  The frustrations you have today will be completely different in two years.

Slow down.  Meet your children where they are.  Young children do not have the urgency that we as frazzled parents have.

As we are frantically trying to finish up math so we can get everybody dressed and out the door for soccer practice, our Little ones are are watching the shadows that the swaying tree branches are leaving on the wall.  If only we could stop for a minute and appreciate the moment, too.



Time is short, it won't be long till that crazy toddler is sitting at the table with those once tiny, dangling feet now touching the floor.

A little, done consistently can reap great rewards.  So it is with children.  Be patient, provide structure, and slow down.

If all else fails put the lessons away for the day and take them all to the park, or curl up together as a family and watch a  movie.  Love the little years because they won't last.



Channon

No comments:

Post a Comment